Home insurance is the best way to protect your family in case of fire, theft, or any other mishap. While insurance isn’t required by law, your mortgage lender will certainly insist on it. However, failing to schedule a call or meeting with an insurance agent could cause your closing to be delayed. If you’re unsure whether your home insurance covers the type of damage that occurred, this article can help you.
Best ways to get a home insurance quote
A home insurance quote can be obtained in the following ways:
- Through the web: You should be able to acquire a home insurance quote online in a few minutes if you have all of the necessary information regarding the property.
- On the telephone: Phone quotes may take longer than online quotes (15-30 minutes) because you’ll have to pass information to an agent, but it’s a more reliable process.
- An advertising agency: Quotes take longer because these agencies are quoting insurance for multiple clients. This could be a great alternative if you want a local agent as a guide.
What information do I require to get a valid quote for home insurance?
If you’re looking for home insurance, follow these steps to make the process faster:
- Have your details on hand: If you’re buying the house alone, you already have your name, date of birth, and Social Security number. If you’re buying a house with someone else, such as a spouse, you’ll also need their information.
- Collect information about the property: The square footage of the home, the age of the roof, and details about any custom or distinctive features will all be required. This information is available on the home’s listing, albeit it may not be completely correct so do crosscheck.
- Know your closing date: Your policy must take effect on your closing date so that you’re insured as soon as you legally buy the property. Although your policy’s effective date may change, knowing when it will expire can assist in guaranteeing that your quotation is accurate.
- Find out about your mortgage: Your mortgage company will provide you with a specific name and address that must be stated on your home insurance policy. This is known as a mortgage clause, and it ensures that your proof of insurance papers is delivered to the correct location.
What is the average time to complete a home insurance policy?
After submitting the required information, it should only take a few minutes to confirm your policy. You’ll probably want to double-check the coverage and the start date. Your insurance company will send a declaration page to your title company (if you’re closing on a new house) and your mortgage company once you’ve purchased your policy. Therefore, the mortgagee clause is essential because if your information is inaccurate, your proof of insurance may not reach your lender, resulting in a forced policy.
Looking to buy a house? Contact our team at Brighton Escrow. Our escrow team can handle your transactions neutrally and advise you on obtaining the best-priced home insurance policy as per your preferences.