Serve up this tasty dish for all your Thanksgiving guests to enjoy.
When most people think about Thanksgiving, they imagine a giant turkey flanked by delicious sides. However, if you are a vegetarian, then navigating the Thanksgiving table may be a little less fun. If you’re tired of settling for boring sides, then try preparing this delicious vegetarian main dish.
- 1 large head cabbage
- 3 tbsp. melted butter
- 1 tbsp. dijon mustard
- 2 tsp. maple syrup
- 1 tsp. vegetarian Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp. stalks celery, cut into quarters
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into thirds
- 1/2 yellow onion, cut into quarters
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. freshly chopped sage
- 1 tbsp. freshly chopped rosemary
- 1 tbsp. freshly chopped thyme
- 1/2 c. low-sodium vegetable broth, divided
- 1 tbsp. freshly chopped parsley, for garnish
(for the gravy)
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 4 oz. cremini mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. freshly chopped sage
- 1 tsp. freshly chopped rosemary
- 1 tsp. freshly chopped thyme
- 3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3 c. low-sodium vegetable broth
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Cut stem off cabbage so it can sit flat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together melted butter, mustard, maple syrup, Worcestershire, and garlic powder, and season liberally with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, combine celery, carrots, onion, oil, and chopped herbs. Season with salt and pepper and toss to coat.
- Place vegetable mixture in a large, oven-safe skillet. Nestle cabbage in the center, on top of the vegetables, and brush all over with half the melted butter mixture. Pour half of the vegetable broth into the bottom of the skillet and cover the cabbage with aluminum foil. Bake for 45 minutes.
- When 45 minutes have passed, remove foil and brush with the remaining butter mixture. Add remaining ¼ cup broth and bake until cabbage is tender and slightly charred, 45 minutes more. (Pierce cabbage with a paring knife to check if it’s ready.)
- Meanwhile, make gravy: In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add onion and cook, stirring until soft, 6 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and herbs and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are soft and golden, about 4 minutes. Stir in flour and cook 1 minute, then whisk in 3 cups of broth and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until mixture has thickened to your desired consistency, 5 minutes. (Add more broth if desired.)
- Slice cabbage into large wedges and serve with gravy. Garnish with parsley and serve hot.
This delicious vegetarian showstopper will ensure that everyone feels welcome this Thanksgiving. Are you looking to buy or sell in the Hermosa Beach area this holiday season? If so, contact the experts at Brighton Escrow to get the top-tier escrow service you deserve. Serving the Hermosa Beach area, we are ready to make home buying and selling a breeze.